With an economy in flux and unemployment as high as ever the US department of Justice reports that 3,600,000 home invasions on average occurred in the US between 1994 – 2000 and that this number is set to more than double by the year 2014. More than 8,000 home invasions occur in North America every Day. It is estimated that 1 in 5 homes will eventually experience a break in or invasion.
It’s chilling enough to think that there is a 1 in 5 chance that your home will be broken into and you will lose precious heirlooms and non replaceable memories. But more disturbing than this is the realization that 38% of these break-ins result in assault while a staggering 60% of home invasions include rape. When one looks closer at FBI and US department of Justice reports it’s a wonder that any of us sleep at night.
Taking a look at daily statistics reveals that property crime occurs every three seconds, burglaries occurs every 10 seconds, and violent crime occurs every 20 seconds. What can be done to reduce the odds that your family will be among the invaded? Knowledge is power and technology can reduce your family’s vulnerability.
What many homeowners do not yet realize is that individuals who have chosen to be career criminals have access to a simple entry tool called the bump key. Anyone can legally purchase as set of 6 of these bump keys for around $$18.00. Taking a look at the next 3 key points will change the way you look at home security.
• Seasoned Thieves can open 90% of doors with lock bumping
• Experts say that no traditional lock is bump proof
• Lock bumping is spreading because of easy Internet access
Knowledge is power and technology has given us an amazing a ray of new gadgets that can be commissioned in securing or family members and assets. A revolution in electronic technology has delivered to us some wonderful tools to protect our loved ones. If you have a passion for x Tech gadgets then here are a few ways they can be used to secure your family.
• Apps away – A Smartphone web app and a home web cam is one of the most simple yet entirely satisfying ways to secure your love ones and personal property while going about your daily activities. This has a very low cost and is a very basic approach but the underlying thrill of seeing live images of your children and home when you are far away is hard to beat. Tablets can offer a better view and most down loadable apps are free, so the only additional cost is the web cam if you do not already have any.
• Randomly Lit – This is an old trick with a new twist. Yes, the concepts of light timers are anything but new, but let’s look at them from a modern perspective. With wonderful smart technology they can be switched on and off in a continuously random way. The same random way you would turn them on and off if you were actually at home. This is an absolute most for anyone going away for the holidays or are often away for extended periods of time.
• The Fix is in – A commonly look for element is to look to see if the TV is in use. A genuinely clever tech toy that you can use when away from home is a fake TV light. They simply give of a light that looks exactly the same as the light given off by the television if it were switched on.
• Double Secured App – Need even more piece of mind, consider a monitoring app for your already existing home security system. You can also install your own home system complete with a downloadable Smartphone or tablet monitoring app. This enables you to control your home security system no matter where you are.
• Cleared Perspective – Many seasoned entry experts will use what they consider to be the path of least resistance a window hidden from view of any neighborly spying eyes. A very simple to install and low cost item is the window alarm. When the window is pulled or pried open it makes a very loud alarming noise. Window x tech alarms can be found online and usually come in packs of two.
We have discussed a few examples of the top trending X Tech gadgets available that can be employed to protect your family and private property. No one wants to experience a home invasion, but with the implementation of some simple smart technologies, you can reduce the odds of our family falling victim.
Katelyn Williams is a technology and lifestyle writer, and writes about helpful topics such as home tech products and top outdoor surveillance camera lists.